Monday 14 February 2022

Parcel

 


Parcel

It is said that modern technology has shrunk the work and allowed people from all over to interact. Social media, for all of its inherent flaws, has also allowed people to exchange views on every topic under the sun and introduced me personally to some great people. One then was the irrepressible ‘Parcel 0  Rogues’ otherwise known as David Brown. His online persona could be brash, funny and often caustic but he challenged the haters and hypocrites wherever he found them. His avatar, an image of Fagan as played by Ron Moody in the movie ‘Oliver’ was familiar to thousands of us on twitter.

David and I share a love of Celtic Football Club and our early interactions on Twitter were all about the ups and downs of our team. He encouraged me to follow fans of other teams on Twitter as is helped counteract the tendency of social media to become an echo chamber of like-minded people. He loved his team and told me he had first seen them in action in April 1977 in a match against Aberdeen and was smitten. Those of you who have that emotional bond with your team will know how strong that can be and despite David’s life taking his to the USA, he never lost that affinity with Celtic. He could be withering in his assessment of them if they played poorly but loved the ideals the club stood for. Inclusion, charity and of course good football were the values he saw in his team and, like so many of us, his moods could be influenced by their results.

Our late-night conversations would focus on the things he loved most in life; his family and Celtic. It was very much in that order with him as Siobhan and his boys were his pride and joy. He knew pain in his life as well as joy and was philosophical about it most of the time although some things he carried with him on his journey. Dave was a generous guy and first to support my annual charity fundraiser. Last year he won a beautiful signed and  framed portrait of Odsonne Edouard in one of my lottery style draws and immediately contacted me to say I should give it to the group I was supporting. That’s the sort of man he was.

Our last conversation in January was a poignant one. He was discussing his views on religion and spirituality and said to me…

‘Like all of us, I’ve been through heartbreak my friend. But my ma taught me I’m no better or worse than anyone else. Every single day I thank God, because I’ve had so many days since then knowing just how much people love me. When it’s my time, I’ll go to face the music.’

We’ll all miss David and his alter-ego, ‘Parcel.’ Life can be fickle and at times cruel. He was just 56 when his journey ended and  it may be of some comfort to his family in these dark days for them to know that many people enjoyed his humour, his wit and his humanity. Like us all, he was a complex human being but his decency shone through and he touched the lives of many.

Rest easy, pal and thanks for the laughs, the advice, the honesty and kindness.

 

David Brown (Parcel O’Rogues)

Family man, Celtic fan and a good guy.

 

7 comments:

  1. ๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ’šWell said. Thoughts with his family and friends however they met David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely put.
    RIP David. ๐Ÿ™

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really well said, I'm still in shock at the news

    ReplyDelete
  4. A true gentleman R.I.P David you'll be sadly missed my friend ๐Ÿ™

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great read summing up what was great about a man i never met but enjoyed twitter world interaction with. Going by reaction on twitter as he trended when news came out of his passing he was widely enjoyed and will be mych missed. Rest in power parcel you rogue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ar dheis Dรฉ go raibh a anam dรญlis. �� ��

    ReplyDelete